You take your car in for regular maintenance. You see your dentist regularly to keep your teeth in good shape. How about regular maintenance on your relationship? It’s a sad fact that most couples go for help for their relationship when it’s too late to save it. So much hurt has built up that it is difficult to break through. With a relationship checkup you can identify trouble spots while they are small and easier to resolve.
What does it involve?
- As a couple, you would meet with me for one hour so I can learn a bit about you and how to customize the checkup for your situation.
- Separately, you and your partner will each spend about 1 hour answering a private and secure online questionnaire called Prepare/Enrich. This questionnaire has a long and reliable base in psychological research (read more here).
- Note that Prepare/Enrich is not a test of compatibility or a predictor of divorce. It is a tool to enhance awareness of strengths and growth opportunities and to support discussion of your relationship.
- After you have each completed the questionnaire, you will meet with me as a couple for one hour. Together, we will review the results of the questionnaire, which will report on your strengths as a couple and possible areas of growth.
- At the end of our second meeting, you will get a written report of your results as well as a workbook of exercises that clearly describe how to work on your growth areas.
At this point some couples decide that they would like some therapy help in working on growth areas. This is completely up to you. If you would like to do counselling, you can do so with me but you are under no obligation to do so and I will not pressure you in any way. I will provide several options so you have some choices as you consider your next steps.
What is covered in the questionnaire?
- Couple closeness and flexibility
- Conflict resolution
- Spiritual beliefs
- Personality differences
- Relationship roles
- Financial management
- Sexual expectations
- Leisure activities
- Children and parenting (if applicable to your relationship)
How much does it cost?
The cost is 2 therapy sessions at the current rate plus $35 USD for the online assessment. With this, you will get a copy of the assessment results and the couples workbook.
Your journey begins with a single step
Please take a moment to call us. We would be happy to speak with you in confidence, answer any questions and match you with the therapist that best suits your needs.